Friday, September 24, 2010

Week 4: Google Docs 1


I was impressed with the capabilites of Google Docs when it was introduced in month one of the program. I quickly sent information to my teammates from work (also critical friends in my AR). I knew it would be a great way to collaborate on our information without having to use the district server.
With this tool, you can upload and convert documents or create new ones from scratch. You become the owner of any file you import into or create. As the owner, you can invite collaborators to edit and export files, or viewers to look at and export files without the ability to edit. All changes are made to the same master document. The owner of the document can view the changes and see what each individual has done. You can also email your documents as attachments.
Managing information is user-friendly with a folder system. Simply create folders and subfolders for all your files. You even have the ability to sort the data. Plus, you get a lot of storage space.
I have found the docs to be great for working from school. I work on an assignment during my planning period, load it to google docs, and continue from home. I don’t have to worry about carrying my apple everywhere.
I did find that I preferred to cut and paste or upload rather than create my documents from scratch. I type a little too quickly for Google docs to keep up.
Outside of my graduate work, I used Google docs with a coworker. We’ve been collaborating on a project for an enrichment program at our school. We have different planning periods, so this allows us to collaborate without taking lots of time after school.

No comments:

Post a Comment