Monday, September 20, 2010

Week 3: GarageBand 1



When my computer package first arrived in the mail I was so excited. The computer nerd in me was chomping at the bit as I unpacked all my goodies. I just couldn’t wait to dig into the software and see all of the neat little tools. Then the reality of being a single mother and the demands of graduate work set in. Now, here I am, four months into the program and I still haven’t “played” with much of the software.

I’ve used GarageBand for podcasts, but I never really had the chance to check out all its cool features until today. Very quickly, the computer geek was pushed aside in favor of the musician within. I was thrilled to discover all Garageband has to offer. It features interactive video lessons to help you learn to play guitar and piano. Even more astounding are the artist lessons which feature video lessons from recording artists Sting, Sarah McLachlan, Ben Folds, and others. Garageband also allows you to turn your computer into over 100 musical instruments with a USB music keyboard, an onscreen keyboard display, or a musical typing function. Furthermore, one can put his or her skills to the test and play or sing along with Magic Garageband Jam. But that’s not all. The program also allows you to record and mix songs.

So what was my first order of business? I played around with the onboard keyboard display. Now I'm just itching to go out and purchase a USB music keyboard. Alas, the money is not there, so I'll just have to be content with playing some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment